I drive a $100 Car

Kid Antrim

Contributor
Veteran X
I've had a few vehicles in my day. Some of them nice, some not so nice. Currently, I'm driving a 1989 Olds 88 Royale. It's been rolled, has over 230,000 miles on it, and looks a little rough. But you know what? The fucker is paid for, runs like a top, and I don't have to give a shit about door dings or fender benders, I just get in and drive it. If I go in the ditch because of snow, I just get out, hop in with someone else, and worry about it later. In fact, I may never own a new car again. This ole girl is perfect. :)

Anyone else out there drive a beater? I will get some pics of mine shortly. :)

(side note, I also own a 92 Ranger and a 50 chevy, but rarely ever drive the chevy)

I used to have a 1990 Geo Metro which the dealership tried to tell me was a "disposable car" and they tried to give me $100 for it. I ended up selling it on the interweb for $1400. Idiots.

never owned a beater in my life. I guess its cool if ya don't care what people think and never want to get a gf...or you are already married and just drive it to work.

mileage isn't what a beater is..I've had a few cars with well over 100k on it but they definitely were not beaters...beaters have to have a fair amount of rust, shitty tires, torn up interior, etc, etc...

My dad used to drive this old beat up dark red Chevrolet. It was fucking ghetto. We always thought it was good cuz he always had to drive through these bad black neighborhoods in DC to get to the Washington Hospital Center (if you live in DC you know what I mean).

He got the windows tinted and you could barely tell who was inside. Fit perfectly with the suroundings.

When he got promoted he used to park in the special parking with all of these Mercedes SUVs and Jags, so after a year and a half he decided to get a nicer car.

Then mine isnt a beater. Paint looks a little worn, but not splotchy or rusted, its got new all weather tires, and the interior kicks ass.

SureShot said:
mileage isn't what a beater is..I've had a few cars with well over 100k on it but they definitely were not beaters...beaters have to have a fair amount of rust, shitty tires, torn up interior, etc, etc...

You forgot a few hand-made "alterations", like coathangers to close doors, a plugged-in commercial heater to replace the old one, plywood board to cover the rusted-out hole on the floor, etc.

1986 Holden Astra, done about 240k km, old tires, only starts half the time, and will just stop working about once a week when I shop at traffic lights where I would have to push it around a corner and let it sit for about 10 minutes before going again. The interior is shit, the back seats have been taken out so you can see the metal floor. No radio all thats left is a bunch of wires that hang out over the gear stick. Ow and it leaks pretty bad when it rains. I got it for $75 and have had it for 2 years now, I dont think I will ever drive anything else.

Back