Win 10 - am I doomed?

ArakAtak

Veteran XX
Wish me luck - I'm off to upgrade finally from good old 7 to 10

Tally Ho Chaps, smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

or maybe

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Vaya con queso
:spock:

I was all keyed up and the download is still at 75% - MS servers slow as shit

I bought a larger SSD and I imaged my old one onto it before hand so I can just plug the old one back in if it all goes triple shaped

long slow frigging process though

arrrgh and after 80 something % I just came back to see it has reset to 1% again :sadface:

there is a 3.8 Gb file sitting there already - what the fuck is it downloading now?

why windows why

10 floppy disks

Last edited:
Buckle up - shit just got real

Q2rovGx.jpg

g'night poopdick

Lol

After you're done updating, install anti beacon from spybot and you'll be fiiiine

Also, remove all the background running apps for battery mode. It will keep your battery life live a lot fucking longer. Other than that, it's a good OS tbh.

I would not do the upgrade. My Win 10 (upgraded from Win 7) stopped downloading updates (and since Win 10 doesn't tell you when it updates, I didn't notice right away). So as all this recent ransomeware was flying around, I was actually unpatched. Fortunately I caught it. Something with the original system partition was borked up. It would no longer download one of the bigger patches and was stuck (and vulnerable).

I had Win 7 media so I just clean installed back.

I also had occasional video card blue screens which have never happened again in 7.

I got forced into an auto update, downgraded back to win 7, then had to do a clean install back to win 10 using the auto-updated key b/c my win 7 was "bought" at some "store" they didn't like. Doesn't seem to be any problem doing a clean install. As long as your mobo/processor are the same, microsoft should have your system information w/ windows 10 key assigned to it. You should be able to do a clean install on that new SSD, and it should associate that PC/laptop with your previously acquired key.

Well I'm back and everything survived the move.

It's nice, nothing terrible yet. I don't think I like Edge browser much, I'll stick to chrome and IE. IE has a larger white bar at the top than it did on win 7.

The log in screen isn't nice though, I like having users listed right on the screen instead of on a little tap thing in the corner.

Also thanks for the tips, I used classic shell on win 7 so that's a definite, I'll look into all the other anti spy stuff too :)

if you were running win 7 pro then now you get hyper V. nothing wrong with a little hyper V

Microsoft stole VMware so now you can download winserver 2012 ISOs and install them into a VM and get an MCSA MCSE. might need to add from add/remove windows programs

Search for control panel and add it to your taskbar.
You'll avoid getting frustrated later on.

I had to switch to ubuntu in the spring for a project I'm on at work. Was amazing how much less resources it uses than windows 10. Blew my mind.

Back