Am I crazy to get a 150 gallon aquarium?

Flash

Veteran XX
Never had a tank before, but I'm planning on having the tank built and maintained by a tank pro. So aside from maintenance, anything I should consider before going this big? I know weight can be a concern so I have a structural engineer coming to take a look at the floor support system. Going to be a planted fresh water tank with a few fish, but mostly looking for an aquascaping tank. Anything I'm probably not considering given I've never had one before?

Been there. Done that. Don't do it unless you're going to have someone maintain it on a bi-weekly basis starting out until you learn everything. Be ready to spend way more money than you think you will. Buy the best circulation pumps, don't be cheap. More circulation that better. Freshwater fish love to swim against the current, it keeps them active, healthy, and you don't want any stagnate water spots in a tank that big. As for rock scaping, go with Texas Holey Rock. It provides lots of cover for various size fish and creates territories for more aggressive fish.

so you never done the aquarium thing so ur buying a big one and having a pro maintain it..

hmmm.

sounds great

Been there. Done that. Don't do it unless you're going to have someone maintain it on a bi-weekly basis starting out until you learn everything. Be ready to spend way more money than you think you will. Buy the best circulation pumps, don't be cheap. More circulation that better. Freshwater fish love to swim against the current, it keeps them active, healthy, and you don't want any stagnate water spots in a tank that big. As for rock scaping, go with Texas Holey Rock. It provides lots of cover for various size fish and creates territories for more aggressive fish.
Guy comes weekly. Good tips, thank you!

Everyone I've known that's done big tank builds always wishes they had gone just a bit bigger after getting one set up. Also, price wise It's not much more, and you get a bigger bang for the buck. A lot of the equipment you'll use on the 150 can be used on a 200. Going above that, you're going into a commercial class of tanks, and then you're in a whole new price bracket and level of equipment. And down the road, if you wanted to do a saltwater reef tank, your options will be endless.

Don't put fish in it. They'll die. Cut some carrots into fish shapes, paint some eyes on, drop those in. Add some rocks, broccoli looks like trees. Nobody will care. Don't put fish food in, the carrots won't eat it and the water will get all cloudy.

The worst that can happen is that you will loose about 10K in fish/equipment, have a pet or kid drown in it and potentially do 10s of thousands of dollars to your home.

Note about scale: a ten gallon planted tank can look like a 500 gallon planted tank by Takashi Amano.
iu

iu

I think my tank is 90 gallons. I'm perfectly happy with the size. It's easily manageable. We upgraded from a 20 gallon when the fish started getting big.

It's in a basement where I have a utility sink + toilet nearby. When it looks green I drain 10-20 gallons and dump into toilet. Refill the buckets in the utility sink, add a cap of treatment, and dump into tank.

Running a marineland 400 biowheel filter.

Last filter had the wires corrode internally and failed. $70 to replace.

I got a nice air pump that runs 2 outlets into air splitters, when I first set it up I fine tuned the air delivery to all the air stones, the treasure chest, the skeleton pirate, etc. Looked great until the fish knock it all over and screw it up.

I have a spongebob theme with the pineapple house, the krusty krab, the easter head, and all the characters.

We have 3 gold fish we won from a county fair. They're each about 6" long now. Also some crawdads my kids catch out of the creek.

I got gravel from home depot and washed it out in a wheel barrow to clean out the mud. Got the big rocks from creek.

Didn't really cost too much. You could have like, 2 regular size turtles, 2-3 oscars, etc. Which is totally plenty to have fun with. When your fish get older and have a major sickness of ick or hole in the head, it's really hard to go through and you may want to shut down the tank at that point. I raised a red tailed cat fish to be about a foot length. I was thinking about making a pond for him to live in.

I was away on a trip when his filter failed and he passed away. Sucks coming home and finding your fish floating. Felt burnt out at that point and sold the setup. I was feeding him chopped up hot dogs and worms.

Years later, and now with my kids, I rebought another setup.

I trained my gold fish to touch so they have to rub my finger first before I give them the shrimp. They're supposed to live for 30-40 years so hopefully they'll be around a while.

I'm using a treasure chest for the tank stand. With the simplicity you don't really even need a cabinet.

I guess my recommendation would be to evaluate what type of fish you want to raise and be sure to check out their mature size. A red tailed cat fish can be 6ft + length in the amazon wild.

Maybe some people have luck, I dont know, but I would not do salt water. The fish are $$$, they're delicate and die easy, and it's a lot more work. But the water is clear and doesn't grow algae. Fresh water is much easier.

150 gallons is pretty epic. But with tank sizes, they can be thin + tall or short + deeper. So you may get the same effect with a smaller tank. Also have to think about the floor structure of your house because it's a lot of weight.

Last edited:
Back