[PICS] Inside Google's Data Centers

I'm just surprised that Skynet is so colorful

I bet if you lived near one of these data centers the best internet you could get at your home is dialup from some shitty internet provider.

Last edited:
I used to work for Server Technology who supplied all of the PDU's for their racks. We had to not only skin them to basically aluminum siding color with no logos, but also sell them through their fictitious company called 'Shoreline' which I found amusing.

google is right off shoreline, i once lived right off shoreline in downtown mountain view

Seems like they could cut their overhead if they added a second level in the server room with a mesh walkway. Not sure what that would do with the heat since I assume that's why the ceiling height is so great. Seems like a lot of wasted space but I guess when you have loads of cash and its coming in by the truckload who cares.

Seems like they could cut their overhead if they added a second level in the server room with a mesh walkway. Not sure what that would do with the heat since I assume that's why the ceiling height is so great. Seems like a lot of wasted space but I guess when you have loads of cash and its coming in by the truckload who cares.

The heat from the racks directly below your proposed second floor might be... undesirable.

bulk of the heat is from hard drives or cpus?

seems like SSD's will eventually reduce the cooling requirement, once they get to be much higher capacity.

I looked at that whole building. They have a good bit of back up diesel but its stored above ground. And they only have one external whole building air cond unit which keep the WHOLE building or ANY PART of the building at ANY regulated TEMP. Thats the big thing on the other side near the diesel. Wonder if their mail building i can't see one. thats funny when they get their first bomb they will be pissed.

I only see 20 parking spaces. Thats a SMALL operation, i wouldn't be surprised if thats a Disaster recovery site. Buildings of that size usually have at least 60 people working in them at day time on weekdays and under 10 on 2nd and 3rd shift and weekends are usually less unless there is a large tape library. But google prolly doesn't use physical tape. they probably ibm vts with instant replication. Strange data center probably a skynet facility.

Noticed they use the classic raised floor to run their cabling also. Heat would be huge issue.

They have a large outdoor unit. Its safer than having indoor in room units. I once saved an ibm ATL tape unit and a few rack because one of our ac's popped on the 3rd floor and the library was right below it. thats when i was a tape jockey.

I looked at that whole building. They have a good bit of back up diesel but its stored above ground. And they only have one external whole building air cond unit which keep the WHOLE building or ANY PART of the building at ANY regulated TEMP. Thats the big thing on the other side near the diesel. Wonder if their mail building i can't see one. thats funny when they get their first bomb they will be pissed.

I only see 20 parking spaces. Thats a SMALL operation, i wouldn't be surprised if thats a Disaster recovery site. Buildings of that size usually have at least 60 people working in them at day time on weekdays and under 10 on 2nd and 3rd shift and weekends are usually less unless there is a large tape library. But google prolly doesn't use physical tape. they probably ibm vts with instant replication. Strange data center probably a skynet facility.

They have multiple redundant sites.

And I don't think you know a whole lot about running a datacenter at all. They don't take very many people.

They have multiple redundant sites.

And I don't think you know a whole lot about running a datacenter at all. They don't take very many people.

hey dood they are called DR sites i stated that i think this is one of them and i work in one of them. and im sure that google has others. the org i belong to has 4. and BTW its not just a server farm so no i know more about just what is in a server farm like 20 parking spaces tells.

change control
transmissions
sched team
server
net ops team
mainframe ops
as400
tape ops
quality

i know quite a bit

if its just a fucking farm its not a data center its a farm.

(oh and there are TONS of pipes in a Data center)

Back