Shadowbane lives?

DocHolliday

Contributor
Veteran XX
If anyone out there is looking for a MMO to play and doesn't want to pay money to play one check out this project. It is run by some serious/passionate people and should be coming online first quarter 2010.

Shadowbane came out in March of 2003. It closed down this past summer. I played on and off those 6 years and had lots of fun playing with a small group of Tribes players. Once the shutdown date was announced fans of the game started forming a dev team to setup a server of their own. More info below.

Shadowbane Emulator

I figured I would post this thread if anyone out there played SB in the past and wouldn't mind playing again for free once this comes online. I love open MMO's. Kill any time any place. There are very few safe areas in this world. Several NPC towns and the rest of them are player built/owned. They can be destroyed and PvP is constant. You do not have to look far to find a good fight in this game. 1 on 1. Small groups. Large mine battles. Even larger fights sieging(banes) player owned cities.

I doubt many will be interested, but a few of you might so take a look. If you like a game where the moment you log in your ass could be killed this is the game to be in. Its cut throat. Its griefer paradise.

If you have any questions in regards to the game post them here. I will try to answer then for you.

Last edited:
i was just looking at this site the other day... i played shadowbane beta and i had fun but never bought it.
is there even a server? i looked around on this site and couldnt find any info... and where would you even get the client?

They are still reverse engineering everything. They have a server up at the moment but its for testing and only a small group of testers can join it.

They are announcing more as they go. If you are on the main page it mentions the server name on the right side at the top and there is a section called SVN Activity where they publish updates. This is a automated process and its been having issues autoupdating lately so that is why it is blank. Holidays are slowing them down a little right now.

On the bright side the game has been boiled down to a science and it is well balanced. The downside is there isn't that much experimenting with classes anymore. There still is some, but not like it was in beta or the first couple of years when balancing issues were constantly being addressed.

Every race, class, etc has its strong points and will dominate certain races/classes. But for every race/class there is someone that can dominate you as well. There are enough races/classes/professions/spells that it provides plenty of variety and no one char is perfect. Well the closest to that is the Dwarf Priest. They are always in demand.

Last edited:
i never played it myself, but i watched kirk and slotr play it for a while.

Personally rather have a Everquest emulator pre PoP to play on but ill check it out reguardless.

I never played this and only know its a pvp game similar to old school UO (which I loved). Is this easy to get into or am I looking at a huge time sink?

It has been quite some time since I played SB. The server I played on basically had a massive war and we destroyed every single capital city in the game lol. I pretty much gave up playing after that. I'd imagine the game has changed quite a bit since those days.

Easy to get into but hard to keep up with.

It really is a lot of fun. Only reason I say hard to keep up with is like the OP said, The world has just a tiny few cities that are NPC controlled. All others are Player owned / player controlled. And a lot were hugely xenophobic.

weird, I was just checking this out. I'll definitely play if the project comes to fruition in the near future.

I don't know if anyone knows me in this thread... played with a couple TWers but mostly back back in the day (beta, first year).

Ran Whisper Of The Wind on the 'test' server (even in this game I hated slow XP, even there it was too slow).

Went by "Shalkin". Might pick it up again, but Im so far behind on any changes in this game. I thought they made it more gay with every update

I think lolBOOM was my favorite character. It was great for leveling up other characters and provided some entertainment when I got bored.

That game is so unbalanced it's ridiculous.

You should roll a dwarf priest, they are like stupidly overpowered.

Stun, stun, stun, run buff, root, stun, heal over time, heal full life, heal heal, stun stun...

Me and 2 friends killed a group of 6 players with just the 3 of us back in the day.

By the way, that game was really fun for a while, but the sieges were sooooo lame...

Back