Am I crazy to get a 150 gallon aquarium?

Never had a tank before, but I'm planning on having the tank built and maintained by a tank pro. So aside from maintenance, anything I should consider before going this big? I know weight can be a concern so I have a structural engineer coming to take a look at the floor support system. Going to be a planted fresh water tank with a few fish, but mostly looking for an aquascaping tank. Anything I'm probably not considering given I've never had one before?
Is it tall or wide? Just remember you're going to be cleaning this thing. So if its a tall tank, you're going to be armpit deep in it every so often. If you need to get to something on the bottom....change something, whatever

Is it tall or wide? Just remember you're going to be cleaning this thing. So if its a tall tank, you're going to be armpit deep in it every so often. If you need to get to something on the bottom....change something, whatever
wrong

just build a remote control mini-rover like in the abyss and call it little geek

1717275361097.png

Wide. 60 x 24 x 24

Will not be cleaning. Maintenance guy does everything

It'll take an engineer 3 minutes to look up the load tables and calculate if it's feasible for your type of floor construction. It'll depend on several other factors like overall footprint (how much the load is spread) and placement (how far from the center of joist span it's located)

the-money-pit-the-money-pit-movie.gif

It'll take an engineer 3 minutes to look up the load tables and calculate if it's feasible for your type of floor construction. It'll depend on several other factors like overall footprint (how much the load is spread) and placement (how far from the center of joist span it's located)
Is it a Finnish made floor?

Are you going to be able to vacation/travel away from the house for ... and not be concerned about the tank?

Learn to surf
I see fish everyday

I have a 10 gallon planted freshwater and you'd be surprised at how much the things cost to maitain properly. Every week there is something else to buy. It also takes a few hours a week to keep looking good. Although you're paying someone to do it so no big deal.

150 is bloody huge for a first tank, although it's much easier to keep stable than a 10 gal, with a small volume it only takes a few drops of this or that to throw it out of whack.

GL, have fun, if you are concerned about weight, use a refrigerating system and make it a snow theme.

Back