Am I crazy to get a 150 gallon aquarium?

Well that's how long it just took to clean, change water and trim the plants in my 10gal, 2.5g Betta and 5g Brine shrimp tanks (and I even skipped the additional external filter on the 10gal)
If you have plenty of money, definitely get someone else to do it.

567.812 about 1/2 a cubic metre of water. Having someone maintain it great. With the dimensions that I maintain myself... Height, Width and Depth (not water depth that's height)

Height - I keep it low enough in height I can reach into the bottom easily.
Width - I want it very wide. Long even because it provides more distance for fish to spread out.
Depth (how far back it goes front to rear) - I don't really want to waste space on this so narrow and long is better than going back.

This way they up closer to you generally.

Then you have options. You can have a community tank which is common, or just limit it to some breeding fish and have them bread more easily, or have aggressive territorial fish mixed with other that fight and live in stress., or a thing I've done before and is quite cool and arty is a huge shit load of the same small fish (like neon's) with 1 single medium fish that makes the neons school, it looks pretty cool,.

Anyway so my main point is, go wide and narrow, and lower than maybe your were thinking.

Also with placing gravel, low at front and high at rear gives is more 'depth', and you can get a really cool expensive fake rock back panel, and the light matters. I Just have a printed picture thing on the back wall. Hnga son the outside.

Feeding a small amount frequently, when you get up, when you get home, and when you go bed, will grow them quicker than 1 dose day. Have a variety of food. Don't overfeed, hungry fish are healthy fish. Most fish deaths are overfeeding.

Better not to have it near lots of natural light (get more green shit) a darker location is ideal, you light it up anyway.

What fish you planning on getting? I like hardy aggressive fish, they can handle harsh maintenance and live.

Oh also, a larger tank generally more stable, it's good.

Have you considered two smaller tanks? This will space out the weight and you can have different biomes. I have a Salt Water 65g tank but I'm limited on specific fish and invertebrates due to the coral and how aggressive they are to each other. I think I would prefer 90g and a 60g or a 120g and a 30g if I had the space.

The other types of tanks I'm loving currently is the shallow tanks.

Sounds expensive as fuck.

I'd rather have a reef tank over a fresh water tho, especially if it's a larger volume.

Not a big fan of reefs compared to planted tanks. I love green plants and the look of a river bed. :shrug:

Expensive is a relative term.

Have you considered two smaller tanks? This will space out the weight and you can have different biomes. I have a Salt Water 65g tank but I'm limited on specific fish and invertebrates due to the coral and how aggressive they are to each other. I think I would prefer 90g and a 60g or a 120g and a 30g if I had the space.

The other types of tanks I'm loving currently is the shallow tanks.

This is going as a big feature in my office. Just want one badass tank. I definitely want longer than wider and prefer a more shallow tank like the one in the thumbnail.

Last edited:
Shallow tanks are way easier to light up well. Also definitely avoid any natural daylight hitting it if u can.
On the other hand, deep tanks give you chance to have a range of fish, bottom, mid and topwater which can be nice. They also give more scope for aquascaping and big plants. Take a look at Tropica for some really nice ideas: https://tropica.com/en/inspiration/

The best light I have ever had is the Fluval Aquasky (they also do a Plant version which is slightly more skewed to fully planted tanks, but I find the Aquasky does a fine job anyway). They are super controllable via the app, you can have 10 different set points for controlling brightness points through the day, individual control over RGB and White. Or you can run it in a semi auto pre-programmed mode that you just bang in the sunrise, sunset and evening times and it does it all for you. They also have a gimmicky thunderstorm effect which is probably just going to scare the shit out of your fish. It can also cycle any sorts of weird colours if you want to do a purple and orange evening feature light. You can install more than one and have them run in sync. Really nice light, in a heap of different sizes. Definitely look into them.

No direct sunlight but quite a bit of indirect sunlight. 4 big windows in my office. Not much I can do about it other than keep the curtains closed when I’m not in there.

rich yuppie fuk wants 2b like pilate, washing his hands of responsibility 4 his glass torture chamber 4 innocent marine animals by paying a poor person 2 do the wet work

typical!

p.s. i have no experience and will eat ur fish but if u hire me i will b cheaper than the fish torture dood u have hired irl

Don't let Ed in your office.
As a kid he used to flush fish down the toilet to free them.

Make sure that you run your high voltage power lines underneath it ;)
Also, The aquarium maintenance peeps are like this right now:
iu

What electronics and control systems are you considering?

Make sure that you run your high voltage power lines underneath it ;)
Also, The aquarium maintenance peeps are like this right now:
iu

What electronics and control systems are you considering?
Bro they are doing everything. I’m just getting a great looking tank.

I'm just slinging some shit. It will all work out and it will be an adventure. I did a 200 gallon in home planted at one point on my own and it was certainly an adventure ;)

Back