COVID conclusion thread

Got some stats to back it up? I wonder what it did to productivity. I know in the public sector it was a complete disaster.

i know what it did for MY productivity personally. I got a LOT more shit done because no office noise to distract you and no one just coming by your desk to interrupt about their stupid problems 10 times a day and no traffic and people pissing me off all day, and less worthless fucking meetings, more in-the-zone coding time. :shrug:

i know what it did for MY productivity personally. I got a LOT more shit done because no office noise to distract you and no one just coming by your desk to interrupt about their stupid problems 10 times a day and no traffic and people pissing me off all day, and less worthless fucking meetings, more in-the-zone coding time. :shrug:
What industry?

the only people who want their remote capable employees to come back to the office are micro-managers who like to look over everyone's shoulders and need people there to feel like they are actually doing something, mostly because they aren't talented and they can't do anything else. :shrug:

amram just can't admit he's wrong

ever

Are you dumb? I'm asking questions I have no assumptions other than knowing for a fact that Canadian public sector workers who were switched to wfh had abysmal performance numbers.

the only people who want their remote capable employees to come back to the office are micro-managers who like to look over everyone's shoulders and need people there to feel like they are actually doing something, mostly because they aren't talented and they can't do anything else. :shrug:
Ehh. In some businesses there is a valid reason to have people together. Cross talk and communication that is lost while doing it remote. A NOC for example would be something like that and probably some sales teams.

Ehh. In some businesses there is a valid reason to have people together. Cross talk and communication that is lost while doing it remote. A NOC for example would be something like that and probably some sales teams.

i don't agree, and that's okay. but for software developers, communication is easy with the multitude of ways to keep track and up to date. between teams and slack and zoom and devops and email, etc, if you can't figure out how to communicate and keep track of things without physically being in a fucking meeting room wasting everyone's time, well, that's on you.

As an IT professional, wfh was awesome. I get more work done, less stress from commute and my quality of life improved dramatically. Of course, management took it all away as fast as they could. Just couldn't stand not having employees under their thumb.

i don't agree, and that's okay. but for software developers, communication is easy with the multitude of ways to keep track and up to date. between teams and slack and zoom and devops and email, etc, if you can't figure out how to communicate and keep track of things without physically being in a fucking meeting room wasting everyone's time, well, that's on you.
No one said anything about meeting rooms. Take a rocket launch for example where you have a central operating team working together. They are not gonna work from home because something need immediate cross talk without having teams or slack up. If you are talking about things like project work yes you can do that remote. When you are working on complex issues across multiple people then being in person is key. Personally I WANT 1 on 1 meetings that are in person. When you do a video conference that works but if you are in person you get information before/after that is usually beneficial.

No one said anything about meeting rooms. Take a rocket launch for example where you have a central operating team working together. They are not gonna work from home because something need immediate cross talk without having teams or slack up. If you are talking about things like project work yes you can do that remote. When you are working on complex issues across multiple people then being in person is key. Personally I WANT 1 on 1 meetings that are in person. When you do a video conference that works but if you are in person you get information before/after that is usually beneficial.

well yes, i will agree that it is definitely on a what the job is basis.

We're going to have a bunch of me too shit going on
and the government will pay for it..
all part of the plan to take down the American Dollar

Actually
I just think everyone's getting old and they just don't want to admit it.
If I'd been vaxxed a couple years ago, I have half a dozen things I'd be blaming it for...
my tinnitus is blowing out my eardurm and my surfing popup is much slower now :/

maybe I can blame it on my family shedding on me.
Don't Shed On Me

My team is 40 deep and spread around the US and some of us travel over half the year. No use having us in a corp office. By Q1 2025 we are going global and doubling our team size. Can't wait! I got in on the ground floor so more opps for me to move more towards the management track and drown myself in company shares.

My team is 40 deep and spread around the US and some of us travel over half the year. No use having us in a corp office. By Q1 2025 we are going global and doubling our team size. Can't wait! I got in on the ground floor so more opps for me to move more towards the management track and drown myself in company shares.
Same situation, my team is mostly regional but we work with people from all across the country, SMEs, subcontractors, etc. I've only had to go into the office maybe a dozen times in the last two years for scheduled all-hands type stuff. Hell it would cost the company more for RTO as they'd have to start expensing flights and hotels and they'd lose people too far to commute.

I love WFH gigs. I just picked one up working for an isp in Texas, Pay is pretty good, good bennies and im home. That means that instead of sitting at a desk in a cube trying to look busy when there's nothing to do, i can do random house chores

Safe and effective. My boy Vinnie Prasad professor of epidemiology at University of California discusses

Tldr the vax is garbage and if you took it you're a dumbass ;)
And if you let your kids take it you should be shot.

Back