So I've got 3 prime new york strips...

actually, fuck steak.

get some mahi-mahi and brush it with a light coating of olive oil. Combine Curry powder and ground Coriander and sprinkle liberally over it. Cook in the oven until white and flaky.

This may sound really nasty to some people, but I actually tried it one time. It's great. It's for a chicken/fish marinade.

3 parts grapefruit juice
1 part soy sauce
1 part EVOO
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge and then let sit at room temp in marinade for 10 minutes before cooking.

iNVAR said:
i use montreal steak seasoning and a bit of worcestershire. rub it in the meat, and poke with a fork all over. stick in a ziplock bag and let it sit for about an hour. then throw it on a grill.

poking the steak is the absolute worse thing to do, it doesn't help it soak up the marinade, all it does is allow all the juices to drip out while cooking

Syndicate_X said:
lol no not really....

if the ph is high enough, yes it will make it tougher because the meat "cooks" while sitting in that marinade.

if you marinate pork chops in a brine, its only for a short time because it will cook the meat if you do it overnight.

i have four ribeyes and a porterhouse that have been marinating since monday.... i tried the spartan salt+rub only but i guess i fucked it up.

i don't care anyways cuz i like my steak tender and i know what meat tastes like... i wanna taste seasoning.

i just picked up a bottle of liquid smoke... i'm gonna try it today.

chunky munky said:
if the ph is high enough, yes it will make it tougher because the meat "cooks" while sitting in that marinade.

if you marinate pork chops in a brine, its only for a short time because it will cook the meat if you do it overnight.

you mean if the ph is low enough?

and bullshit on the cooking while marinading

p9Morbid said:
This may sound really nasty to some people, but I actually tried it one time. It's great. It's for a chicken/fish marinade.

3 parts grapefruit juice
1 part soy sauce
1 part EVOO
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Marinate for 30 minutes in the fridge and then let sit at room temp in marinade for 10 minutes before cooking.

I have used this same recipe (with less olive oil), very tasty.

has anyone here aged a steak before? I had a steak in vegas that had been aged 28 days. It was fucking awesome I'm just not sure about the whole 28 days thing, seems like a long time to leave a steak in the fridge.

They have aged steaks at Whole Foods. I tried one, I wasn't impressed. But that's certainly not the last word on it, people swear by it.

Back