Joining Navy Late in Life

Go in the airforce. No chance of going out to sea, even their 'dumb' jobs can lead to pretty decent jobs in the civilian world.

That is a mistake many make when they enlist. They enlist with their dicks, not their heads. They want to be rangers, seals, artillery, tank drivers..etc. Shit that has 0 career options in the civvie world

Go in the airforce. No chance of going out to sea, even their 'dumb' jobs can lead to pretty decent jobs in the civilian world.

That is a mistake many make when they enlist. They enlist with their dicks, not their heads. They want to be rangers, seals, artillery, tank drivers..etc. Shit that has 0 career options in the civvie world

Yeah, I turned my 20 year career into a pretty cushy job in IT.

Work on a ship, one that goes waaaaaaay out into the middle of the ocean. That way when you sink it doing something dumb you're 100% fucked.

You can go get certifications, and likely pull a fairly decent IT job for little money actually spent

Certificates are worthless, unless you're talking about DB admin or something. I've attended plenty of MS classes paid for by work, but never bothered to get any certifications. Don't need them. I have the experience instead. Most employers would hire anyone with experience over any certs or degrees.

And getting a MS certification is expensive. The courses just for one certificate costs thousands of dollars and weeks of time away from any job you might have.

And a CompTIA A+ cert is going to get you a helpdesk job at some call center. Not exactly a decent IT job. I would put a bullet in my head if I had to do that job.

I don't think people are recognizing how desparate the ByeDone regime is on making the numbers of recruits go up.
Drive a hard bargain and play hardball King...
Get prepared..
Then walk by a center and peek in the window... walk past..
go back, peak again,,, ask if they have a bathroom...
look at a brochure...
you got this

I do think Space Force would be cool,,,, Trump and all
prolly the least infiltrated with 'woke' traitors

but go for $; they need guys in the navy

Last edited:
Certificates are worthless, unless you're talking about DB admin or something. I've attended plenty of MS classes paid for by work, but never bothered to get any certifications. Don't need them. I have the experience instead. Most employers would hire anyone with experience over any certs or degrees.

And getting a MS certification is expensive. The courses just for one certificate costs thousands of dollars and weeks of time away from any job you might have.

And a CompTIA A+ cert is going to get you a helpdesk job at some call center. Not exactly a decent IT job. I would put a bullet in my head if I had to do that job.

No, whats worthless is going to college for a degree in IT. Certs are far more useful. You pay for what you need, not for what the college requires. At this point in my education, i have 6 years of accounting..do you know how many times i've used that? None. Do you know how many times I have gotten a job in IT based upon my college required English Lit. grades? None. But you still have to take those classes, still have to buy those books.

You're right A+ cert is pointless unless you want to repair computers. But Net+ and Sec+ will get you in the door at a lot of jobs at places that have tuition reimbursement, that will pay for more substantial certs and those 2 certs cost like $300 total and are fairly easy for anyone.
All said an done, the money you will pay to get you to say $65k/yr in IT with a degree is probably 10x more than if you just got a couple relevant certs. I know tons of people that are $100k or better in IT that have no degree, they just have time and the right cert. And most certs don't require classroom time. You can buy the study material online or other sources, study on your own time and just go take the test.

I disagree, aws certs carry weight

mention you're bi.... thinking about becoming trans
if they don't give you the bestest deal
threaten discrimination

you should ask about the age limit - i think they raised it to 41 last year and quietly bumped it to 42. ymmv.

it was curious that the other branches didn't follow suit. only the navy.

No, whats worthless is going to college for a degree in IT. Certs are far more useful. You pay for what you need, not for what the college requires. At this point in my education, i have 6 years of accounting..do you know how many times i've used that? None. Do you know how many times I have gotten a job in IT based upon my college required English Lit. grades? None. But you still have to take those classes, still have to buy those books.

You're right A+ cert is pointless unless you want to repair computers. But Net+ and Sec+ will get you in the door at a lot of jobs at places that have tuition reimbursement, that will pay for more substantial certs and those 2 certs cost like $300 total and are fairly easy for anyone.
All said an done, the money you will pay to get you to say $65k/yr in IT with a degree is probably 10x more than if you just got a couple relevant certs. I know tons of people that are $100k or better in IT that have no degree, they just have time and the right cert. And most certs don't require classroom time. You can buy the study material online or other sources, study on your own time and just go take the test.

I have none of those things, just 40+ years experience in IT and I'm doing just fine. Only one person in my department has a computer science degree. Everyone else has either no degree, or degrees such as economics and forestry. Checking trees for disease isn't very relevant. They got their experience OTJ.

Cool...so you have old man certification. Yeah, you can get there by attrition as well. But for someone that doesn't want to wait 4 decades to make decent money..certs are how you do it.

What language does your wife speak and can you speak it too? If so, use that to your advantage. Join the Army, get in special operations, and you will get placed in a group around the languages you can speak. Work your ass off, do sky diving and then Army diving classes and try to get into Orange. Work Orange for a few years, retire, then contract.

My advise would be to fly sam out to any meeting you're planning to have... and buy him lot's of dinners

Back