Joining Navy Late in Life

You should apply for a position in Repairs and Maintenance.

I imagine all the old Boomer class subs probably need new screen doors by now.

I would recommend Air Force/jet maintenance, because that's a skill that's very in-demand in civvie life. But the THC history probably disqualifies.

Common mid-life crisis move. Join the police, join defence, and then leave after 2 years.

Maybe you will like it.

Active Duty

Housing allowance is $1,600/month

Food is $400/month

E3 Salary is $2k/month

After 10yrs of service the GI Bill becomes transferrable to family members.

So I could give the kids some educatiuns.

Also I would get secret clearances O-o

Health Insurance can be continued on through Reserves but costs $200/month for a family. 1 weekend/month, 2 weeks/years for keeping it up. After 20yrs of service and at age 60 I could collect retirement pay from the reserves. So I'd have 5yr gap between 55 and 60 to wait out.

This could work as long as we never need to go to war.

Last edited:
ya i gotta remotely kill some yemeni farmers with a 2 million dollar missle fired from a 6 billion dollar boat before im qualified

I dont know that they hire a lot of navy guys. Most private contractor groups i've ever seen usually hire primarily from Army/Marines and usually its the spec ops groups. the 'low' end of who they hire is generally infantry with combat experience.

They make pretty good money to get shot at

I dont know that they hire a lot of navy guys. Most private contractor groups i've ever seen usually hire primarily from Army/Marines and usually its the spec ops groups. the 'low' end of who they hire is generally infantry with combat experience.

They make pretty good money to get shot at

this

Back